Friday, January 18, 2013

Sourdough Bread

 
    I recently ordered sourdough start from King Arthur Flour Company.  This is the old fashioned sourdough starter.  My starter is getting off to a good start as you can see from the picture.  I have starter that uses sugar and potato flakes to feed it. I wanted to get away from all the sugar that is in that one. Every time you feed it you add 3/4 C of sugar.  This starter only takes flour and water to feed it.  The key is to not use tap water. It has to be chlorine free water. 
 
    I tried my first batch of bread this past Monday and it turned out well.  Here is the recipe I used  with a little tweeking.  I added three T. of oil and one more T. of sugar. I also made mine into regular loaves.   It turned out very well and without the large amount of sugar that the other sourdough starter has in it.
 
 

Directions

1) Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.
2) Allow the dough to rise, in a covered bowl, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
3) Gently divide the dough in half; it'll deflate somewhat.
4) Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves, two 10" to 11" logs. Place the loaves on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.
5) Spray the loaves with lukewarm water.
6) Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
7) Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.
  
 
 
    This King Arthur recipe of sourdough bread makes good sandwich bread.    The starter has to be fed once a week.  I am anxious to try more sourdough recipes in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment