Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fall Days

Fall is the most beautiful time of the year.  When fall arrives I get in the baking mood.  I have compiled two recipes into one and come up with my own honey oatmeal bread.  It has quickly become a favorite around here. Here is my recipe.

 
   Honey Oatmeal Bread
 
 
11/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup butter
3 1/4 cup bread flour
3 1/4 cup fresh ground wheat( or whole wheat flour)
1 cup quick cooking oats
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages of active dry yeast
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
oatmeal
 
Place water, honey, and butter in small saucepan.  Heat over low heat until mixture is very warm.
 
First place oats, then 5 cups of flour, salt, and yeast in mixer bowl.  If you have a kitchenaid mixer with dough hook turn to speed 2 and mix for about 15 seconds.  If you do not have the mixer then mix by hand.  Continue on speed 2 gradually add warm mixture to flour mixture and mix about 1 minute.  Add eggs and mix about 1 minute longer.
 
Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes or until dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl.  Knead on speed 2 for about 7 minutes longer.  Again if you don't have a mixer then knead by hand for about 10 minutes.
 
Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
 
Punch dough down and divide in half.  Roll 1/2 of dough out to about 9 x 14 inches.  Roll the dough, then pinch the seam and pinch the ends. Place the dough seam side down in greased loaf pan and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled.  
 
Beat egg white and water together with a fork.  Brush tops of loaves with mixture. Sprinkle with oatmeal.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes ( my oven takes about 25 minutes).  Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
 
Fall days also put me in the mood to make soap.  I will be making soap in the days ahead.  I have ordered the oils I need to replenish my soap shelves and will begin making soap when they arrive. My son-n-laws love my handmade soap and I always try to have some made and cured in time for Christmas so that I can add it to their Christmas stockings.





No comments:

Post a Comment